Saturday, May 15, 2010

Happy Birthday to My Love

On October 25, 1997, my 26th birthday, I met the love of my life. Granted, I didn't know it then.

I was managing Lodging at Northstar-at-Tahoe and Steve had come out from New Jersey for the winter job fair. I hired him to work at the Front Desk. He immediately impressed me with his work ethic and calm demeanor. By the beginning of the following Summer, I had promoted him to Supervisor. We had formed a wonderful friendship, and spent many hours chatting and laughing. At one point during the Summer of 1998, I was talking with Steve and told him that I was going to take advantage of the free golf lessons available to employees. He told me that I didn't need lessons from the Pro-Shop...he could teach me. I'll never forget when at about the 8th hole, I looked over at him and I saw him in a whole new light. I had never allowed myself to think of him as anything more than an employee, but outside of the office...that changed. ;) He was wearing this shirt that day:



I keep that photo on my mirror, to remind me of the day I began to fall in love with him. He switched departments, and we started dating in the Fall of 1998. It was then that we took a trip with friends to Pebble Beach, CA.


During the Winter of that year, he and I began to spend a LOT more time together. One day we took Sierra and Jared skiing, and he won my heart. He was SO good with my kids and they felt safe and secure with him...we all did.


On May 16, 1999--Steve's 25th Birthday-- he and I went camping and hiking at Yosemite National Park.

On June 23, 1999 he proposed on a horse-drawn carriage in Central Park, NY and on October 9, 1999 we were married in Maine.

Not many people can say that they are married to their best friend and their soul mate. Sure, a lot of marriages start out that way...but time has a way of changing things. Not for me. Steve is my rock and with every passing day, I love him more. We share a rare love, and not a day goes by that I don't count my blessings. I had suffered a lot of pain before I met him, and I had convinced myself that I would always be alone...it was easier than being hurt. Steve changed all of that. He made me feel safe and cherished. He fixed my broken heart and promised to protect it. Most importantly, he loved Sierra and Jared as if they were his own. On our wedding day, he included a vow to them...he promised to love and always be there for them. He has done that and so much more.

Our song was, "From This Moment On" by Shania Twain. These lyrics said it all: "You're the reason I believe in love. And you're the answer to my prayers from up above."



We chose Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, Maine because I have always loved lighthouses and it was near most of our family.



We honeymooned in Maui :)




On our 7th Anniversary, we took the kids to the White Mountains, NH:



For our 8th Anniversary, we were at Disney World. I had an Artist sketch this for him, because his favorite character is Mr. Incredible...
This past year, for our 10th Anniversary, we enjoyed a peaceful ride on the Cape Cod Central Railroad together.

December, 2009

May, 2010

I have been incredibly blessed with Steve. He is truly heaven-sent...God knew I needed him. In return, he has someone to adore him faithfully and immeasurably. Together, we are raising our five precious children. We're giving them a stable, loving home. They see their parents as partners and friends...and they are growing up with a first-hand example of a genuinely happy marriage. I could not ask for more.

It's hard to believe it's been 11 years since our trip to Yosemite. So much has changed since then, yet the most important things remain the same. Steve's still my best friend and my soul mate...and I'm still head-over-heels in love with him.

Happy, Happy Birthday my Steve. May you always know how very much you are cherished, appreciated and loved.

No comments: